For business owners, this underscores the importance of prioritizing efforts in social media marketing in the Philippines.
Social media has assumed a pivotal role in the daily lives of Filipinos, significantly influencing consumer behavior and engagement. Purchasing decisions and beliefs are often swayed by the content users encounter on these platforms! For business owners, this underscores the importance of prioritizing efforts in social media marketing in the Philippines.
For those who still underestimate the effectiveness of social media marketing, this article will present compelling insights and statistics, as well as valuable knowledge that can help refine your social media marketing techniques and business strategies.
Social Media Usage in the Philippines
If your business isn’t consistently harnessing the power of social media, you might change your mind when you read the following insights and statistics about social media marketing in the Philippines:
The Philippines ranks among the top active global users of social media
Have you ever wondered why influencers from various countries create Philippine-related content on their channels? It’s a strategic move to enhance engagement on their platforms. These influencers know that Filipinos are among the top active global users of social media, and they leverage the effectiveness of social media marketing to drive engagement even if the Philippines isn’t their primary market. Given the recognition by other countries of the significance of the Filipino audience in social media, why not tap into this insight for your local business as well?
Filipinos spend more than 3 hours on social media per day
Do you know Filipinos are among the top 5 countries that spend the most time on social media? On average, most Filipinos spend at least 3 hours and 45 minutes per day scrolling through various social media platforms. Filipinos primarily use social media for communication, entertainment, and even work. So, if you believe Filipinos don’t have the time to see your business posts and ads, that’s a misconception. As long as you consistently promote your biz and craft engaging social media marketing techniques, you can gain a constant audience on various social media platforms.
The Philippines claims the top spot in vlog consumption
When planning your strategies for digital marketing in the Philippines, prioritize creating video content. According to a report, the Philippines holds the top global position in vlog consumption. An impressive 55.65% of internet users aged 16 to 64 in the country are avid consumers of vlogs. Indonesia follows in second place with 33.3%, and Taiwan comes in third with 33.2%. See the gap between the Philippines and the second and third-ranking countries? It’s more than 22%!
The demographics of most Filipino social media users
The total population of the Philippines exceeds 117 million, with 84.45 million individuals actively engaged in social media. Among these users, 53.5% are female, while 46.5% are male. Before, it was recorded that there were more male social media users in the country. Regarding the geographical distribution, 51.8% of social media users reside in rural areas, while 48.2% are from urban areas. Armed with this data, you can formulate effective strategies for your social media marketing in the Philippines.
The Top 3 Popular Social Media Platforms in the Philippines
Having gathered some insightful data on social media usage in the Philippines, let’s now discuss the country’s most popular social media platforms. As reported by Meltwater, the most used social media channels in the Philippines are as follows:
- Facebook (95.7%)
- TikTok (77.2%)
- Instagram (71.9%)
Facebook remains the king of social media in the Philippines
Despite the growing sentiment to boycott Facebook due to its association with hate, fake news, and an older demographic, Facebook remains king of social media, not just in the Philippines but globally.
Facebook will likely retain its top position in the Philippines, mainly because it has partnered with major mobile network providers like Smart and Globe, ensuring users maintain FREE ACCESS to the platform. This arrangement enables even low-income earners to engage with Facebook, but with restricted features like the inability to view images and videos.
Why use Facebook for your business
If you’re considering whether to establish your business on Facebook, here are the reasons why you should do so:
- Diverse user age groups. Recent statistics debunk the misconception that old users predominantly utilize Facebook. The largest user segment, comprising 29.4%, falls within the 25-34 age range. And not too far behind, 22.6% are young adults aged 18-24. Additionally, 19.1% of users are between 35-44 years old.
- Facebook Groups. Participate in discussions within various Facebook groups that cater to niche interests and topics. Take advantage of the opportunity to promote your products for free by joining relevant groups. However, it’s essential to carefully read and adhere to the group rules, as some groups may have restrictions on promotional content.
- Facebook Marketplace. Facebook Marketplace has proven to be one of the platform’s most effective social media marketing techniques. Numerous Filipino online sellers affirm that the Marketplace consistently offers greater product exposure than merely sharing them in Facebook Groups.
- Facebook Reels. Many businesses have given up on Facebook because their posts don’t get enough organic traction. But creating more Reels (short-form videos) can help. Tests by Heath Media show that Reels get more organic views than regular posts, making it a smart way to reach your target audience on Facebook.
- Business pages and advertising. Facebook is a prominent platform for businesses with dedicated pages and advertising options. This feature enables the creation and execution of targeted digital marketing in the Philippines, allowing businesses to engage with their audience and optimize their online presence.
TikTok, the rising short-form video platform
TikTok only made its international debut in 2018. Despite its later entry into the social media scene, it has rapidly surpassed Instagram and other platforms in the Philippines’ social media marketing world.
Renowned for its short-form video content, TikTok’s influence has been so significant that even Facebook and YouTube drew inspiration from its success, introducing their iterations of short video formats.
Why use TikTok for your business
Many businesses remain skeptical about joining TikTok, often perceiving it as a platform for dance and entertainment. However, this assumption is inaccurate. Here are compelling reasons why your business should consider using TikTok:
- Youthful demographic. Most TikTok users in the Philippines are 18 and above, with a global user base predominantly composed of Generation Z. If your target audience is younger, TikTok is an ideal platform for your business.
- Engaging content formats. TikTok’s focus on short-form videos allows businesses to showcase products or services dynamically. Additionally, the platform supports photo slides and text posts that you can integrate with popular music.
- Better sales conversions. Consistently posting videos on TikTok and partnering with TikTokers are excellent social media marketing techniques to build online exposure and increase sales. Statistics show that 4 out of 5 users make purchases based on TikTok recommendations, evident in popular hashtags like #TiktokMadeMeBuyIt and #TiktokBudol.
- Trending challenges and hashtags. TikTok is number one when it comes to setting trends. Engaging in popular challenges and using trending hashtags can elevate your business’s visibility and encourage more community participation.
- TikTok Shop. TikTok Shop is another feature supporting e-commerce businesses. Several Filipino small business owners report increased sales when they list their products on TikTok Shop and do live selling on the platform.
Instagram, the visual sovereign
Who would’ve thought Instagram would end up in the top 3 most-used social media platforms in the Philippines? Back then, it was just a platform with cool photo filters. But now? Instagram has become a favorite among Filipinos, particularly for social media marketing in the Philippines. Known for its visually stunning and captivating content, the platform consistently attracts a large user base.
Why use Instagram for your business
Instagram isn’t just a platform for sharing pictures. It’s a powerful tool for businesses to build brand awareness, cultivate engagement, and drive sales. Here are some of the reasons why you should utilize this platform:
- Emphasizing aesthetics. Instagram is a visual-centric platform. Whether in e-commerce, fashion, food, fitness, travel, tech, or health, Instagram can significantly enhance your business presence.
- Instagram Stories. Use Instagram Stories to share photo or video content that captivates your audience. Stories help create a sense of urgency as they disappear within 24 hours.
- Instagram Reels. Similar to Facebook Reels, Instagram Reels offer an extended organic reach. Capitalize on this feature by crafting engaging short-form video content for your audience.
- Wider reach through cross-posting. Extend your reach by utilizing Instagram’s cross-posting feature on Facebook. This allows you to connect with a broader audience across both platforms.
- Shopping integration. Instagram has become more than a social platform – it has transformed into a visual storefront. With shopping integration, your target audience can easily browse and shop for your products directly on the platform.
And that covers the top 3! If you’re wondering why X/Twitter has dropped in the rankings among the Philippines’ top social media platforms, its usage has dwindled to 56.7%. In the past, Twitter consistently held the second spot after Facebook. However, it experienced a sharp decline, especially after rebranding to X and implementing new policies.
The Intersection of Cultural Aspects and Social Media Marketing
Filipinos deeply value their culture, as seen in their unwavering support for their cuisine, music, beauty pageants, and sports. To maximize the effectiveness of social media marketing, it’s advisable to leverage these cultural elements. Here are some social media marketing techniques:
Localize content creation
Craft content that deeply aligns with Filipino culture. Integrate recognizable themes, references, and language that foster a connection with the local audience. Consider utilizing colloquial expressions and widely embraced cultural symbols. To enhance relatability, use the native dialect specific to each region or a combination of English and the local dialect in your content.
Partner with influencers who have a strong influence on the Filipino audience. Their endorsement and collaboration can add authenticity and credibility to your brand. Given the Filipinos’ high regard for family bonds and integrity, exercise caution in selecting influencers—steer clear of those associated with integrity issues. Choosing an influencer with such issues may lead to brand cancellation, particularly in the context of the prevalent Filipino cancel culture.
Stay updated on trends and memes
Recognizing Filipinos as a joyful community, staying informed about ongoing trends and memes is crucial. If a specific event or issue aligns with your brand, capitalize on it by creating content that resonates with the cultural pulse.
Elevate Your Social Media Content
Recognizing the significant impact of social media on business, it’s crucial to tap into the potential of these platforms. If your current social media content isn’t delivering the results you’re aiming for, team up with Eight Media.
Known for its excellence in social media marketing in the Philippines, Eight Media stands out as a premier industry player capable of implementing social media marketing techniques that yield results. So, reach out to us today to elevate your online presence and break into the world of digital marketing in the Philippines.